- Luuka Jones - Former Waiariki Academy of Sport Athlete "Two-time Olympian kayaker Luuka Jones is a Waiariki graduate and former Waiariki Academy of Sport athlete"
- Wayne Maher - Academy Programme Area Leader
Waiariki Academy of Sport has five key programmes:
- Waiariki Athlete Programme - Waiariki Academy of Sport is committed to supporting young talented athletes in New Zealand.
- Waiariki Sport Community Programme - (High Performance and Recreation). Waiariki Academy of Sport has set up its own sport science testing facility, the only one of its kind in the Bay of Plenty. We provide world class sport science services to the BOP sport and recreation community. If you coach a club/rep team, are recreational mountain biker, or want fitness support to your workplace, then we have the people and the programmes to help you achieve that "extra edge" no matter your performance goals.
- Waiariki Staff and Student Programme - Kick-start or rejuvenate your fitness, exercise or nutrition desires. Waiariki Academy of Sport staff contribute to and support the programmes offered at the Waiariki Community Recreation Centre.
High Performance Sport NZ - We retain close links Sport New Zealand's High Performance arm, to provide world class sport science support to elite athletes in the BOP region.
- all Academy of Sport programmes
- specialised short and long programmes for international students
- International Programme: International students are eligible for:
Sport Science ServicesWhatever your sport, your athletic ability, or your sporting team's needs, we can tailor a support package to help you gain that "extra edge".
Waiariki Academy of Sport was launched in 2007 to provide an environment where young, talented athletes of the region can prioritise their sport whilst also gaining a tertiary qualification.
Sport science and medicine support for athletes is managed by the Academy of Sport staff. Services to athletes include individual programme planning, testing, and prescription in areas such as exercise physiology, physical training and conditioning, and nutrition. Academy staff work with the athletes, their individual coaches, and their mentors to provide complete support through training and competition.
Modelled on the New Zealand Academy of Sport System
The academy is modelled on High Performance Sport New Zealand's (HPSNZ) system that delivers support to New Zealand's most elite athletes. The academy bridges the gap between when athletes leave secondary school and when they reach the fully supported HPSNZ system.
- Training Squads: Bike, Kayak/Waka Ama, Golf, and General
- Facilities: Performance Centre and services, Sport and recreation centre, and Nine-hole golf training facility
Academy of Sport
- Address:Mokoia Drive, Tihiotonga, Rotorua
- Contact:0800 924 274
- Phone:07 346 8750
- Hours:Monday – Friday, 8.30am – 4.30pm
- Map:Mokoia Campus Map (PDF updated 25-Sep-2013)
Page last updated: 20 Feb 2014