The following information will assist you during your study at Toi Ohomai Institute of Technology, the application and administration processes, and explain policies.
- Application checklist
- Cross credit information
- English as a first language
- Equivalent IELTS score
- New Zealand qualification structure
Academic entry requirements
Applicants must be high school graduates with acceptable results in relevant subjects. Special conditions apply to some qualifications and to students under 18 years of age.
- Toi-Ohomai-Institute-of-Technology-Regulations-2017-v2.pdf (419.5 KB updated 28-Nov-2016)
As an enrolled full-time student, Immigration New Zealand (INZ) requires study visa holders to attend all timetabled/scheduled classes, and to show academic progress if requested by INZ. If you do not comply with these conditions, INZ can revoke your study visa and you will be requested to leave the country.
Application checklist and requirements
To process your application in a timely manner, please view the list of required information for each level of study.
- Application Checklist and Requirements (information page)
Cross credit information
Application for credit recognition from study at a tertiary institution outside of New Zealand
- International Application for Cross Credit/Unspecified Credit (271.5 KB updated 08-Aug-2016)
Code of practice
As a signatory to the Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students, we may enrol international students aged 14 and older.
English as a first language
The English proficiency requirements do not apply to international students whose first language is English. Currently, New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA) allows institutions to treat English as the first language, or one of the first languages, of an international student provided they have evidence that the student has either:
- completed all primary education and at least 3 years of secondary education (that is, the equivalent of New Zealand Forms 3 to 5 or years 9 to 11) at schools using English as the language of instruction;
- completed at least 5 years of secondary education (that is, the equivalent of New Zealand Forms 3 to 7 or years 9 to 13) at schools using English as the language of instruction.
For more information view the NZQA English language requirements document.
Equivalent IELTS scores
English competency is assessed on IELTS results, however, we also accept equivalent English evidence results. The comparative table below indicates scores that meet the English language requirements.
|Level 5 Certificate or Diploma||Level 6 Certificate or Diploma||Level 7 Certificate, Diploma or Degree||Graduate Certificate or Diploma||Postgraduate qualification|
|IELTS||5.5 with no band score lower than 5.0||6.0 with no band score lower than 5.5||6.0 with no band score lower than 5.5||6.0 with no band score lower than 5.5||6.5 with no band score lower than 6.0|
|550 (with an essay score of 5 TWE)||550 (with an essay score of 5 TWE)||550 (with an essay score of 5 TWE)||550 (with an essay score of 5 TWE)||590 (with an essay score of 5.5 TWE)|
|79 or higher (with a writing score of 20)||79 or higher (with a writing score of 20)||79 or higher (with a writing score of 20)||79 or higher (with a writing score of 20)||90 or higher (with a writing score of 21)|
|FCE or CAE with a score of 47 or higher||FCE or CAE with a score of 52 or higher||FCE or CAE with a score of 52 or higher||FCE or CAE with a score of 52 or higher||CAE with a score of 58 or higher or CPE with a score of 45 or higher|
|NZCEL||Level 4 with the Academic endorsement||Level 4 with the Academic endorsement||Level 4 with the Academic endorsement||Level 4 with the Academic endorsement||Level 4 with the Academic endorsement|
New Zealand qualifications structure
The New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA) has:
- A scale of 10 levels
- Three-year bachelor’s degrees, starting Year 1 at Level 5 and finishing Year 3 at Level 7
- New Zealand’s three-year degree is at the same level as the final three years of a four-year bachelor’s degree in most countries. This is mainly because New Zealand students complete an extra year at high school.
International Centre Contact Details
- Location:E Block, Mokoia Campus
- Address:International Centre
Toi Ohomai Institute of Technology
Private Bag 3028
- Contact:International Team
- Phone:07 346 8712
- Phone:+64 7 346 8712
- Hours:Monday–Friday, 8am – 4.30pm
- Web Page:International Students (information page)
- Map:Mokoia Campus Map (533.8 KB updated 21-Mar-2017)
- More information:email@example.com (applications and offers)
firstname.lastname@example.org (arrival bookings and accommodation)
email@example.com (agent matters)
Page last updated: 05 Dec 2016