Why Study at Waiariki?
Waiariki Institute of Technology provides up-to-date and relevant vocational training in key industries such as forestry, tourism, hospitality, and the trades, which are vital to our region’s growth and success. Providing the skilled employees these industries need is one of the institute’s goals.
See why Waiariki is the place for you:
High Quality Qualifications
- We specialise in applied learning and vocational education for key international growth industries
- Bachelor’s degrees and post graduate degrees
- Degree, Diploma and Certificate vocational courses ideal for intending migrants
- Excellent employment opportunities for graduates
- We are Government owned with more than 5,000 students
- All our qualifications have been approved by New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA).
- Signatory to the New Zealand Ministry of Education's Code of Practice
- An official IELTS Testing Centre
- We have staircasing partnerships with Canterbury and Waikato universities between our degrees and diplomas and their awards.
- We are a partner with the New Zealand Government in the National Centre of Excellence in Wood Manufacturing, which is being built on our campus.
- We consistently produce top graduates in the Nursing Council of New Zealand state final exam.
- Our academic staff have extensive experience and links with industry.
A Supportive and Friendly Environment
- Teaching styles in New Zealand can be quite different to the ones you are used to. Here, we encourage you to ask questions in class, work in groups, apply the theory to real-life situations and make presentations to other students.
- Small classes make it easier to adapt to these challenges and allow for hands-on experience.
- We have support programmes available to give you individual assistance should you need it.
- Learner Support-developing study and English writing skills and test techniques for exams.
- Nurses clinic and counselling service avaliable
Our friendly team provides a full range of pastoral care and specialist services:
- Pastoral care includes: accommodation support, airport pickup, orientation, banking and general advice, cultural and personal support.
- Specialist services include assisting students with course applications, enrolments, immigration issues, on-line student visa applications, medical and health insurance, travel arrangements and course transfers.
- Our staff members can speak Mandarin, Cantonese, Hindi, Tamil, Norwegian, Danish, Swedish and French.
- Health and medical insurance: Student visa holders are required by the Code of Practice to have approved medical insurance while living in New Zealand. Insurance will be arranged by Waiariki and invoiced on the Letter of Offer to students.
- Accredited accommodation: The Hall of Residence and
Homestay. See Our International Accommodation Page for more details.
Student Friendly Campus
- Our campus is set in park-like grounds which provide an ideal environment for concentrating on your studies.
- There is free car parking and no major roads through our campus, no high-rise classroom buildings.
- The Library Learning Centre offers a full range of resources available for your study needs.
- You will have access to computer suites to work on assignments outside class hours.
- Cafe and restaurant - conveniently located on campus
- Waiariki Institute of Technology Student Association (WITSA) membership is included in your fees. Run by students for students, providing general student information, campus social activities, help and support academically and personally.
- Rotorua, the heartland of New Zealand's Maori culture. Enveloping warmth, a proud spirit, a deep sense of history and a quick humour - you'll find all these qualities in your experiences with Maori culture. It's a sensation we call manaakitanga.
- Rotorua offers a huge range of sightseeing attractions and activities and has something to appeal to everybody who visits and Rotorua is proud to be the only place in the world where you can experience some of the activities and attractions on offer. www.rotoruanz.com
- Rotorua is located in the heartland of New Zealand, attractive for its cultural and geological wonderlands. The city is one of the country's premier tourist destinations attracting 2.5 million tourists annually.
- Rotorua is conveniently located by public transport and private vehicle to other major cities such as:
Auckland (3 hours by car or 30 minutes by plane)
Hamilton (approx. 1 hour by car)
Mt Maunganui (45 minutes by car)
Taupo (1 hour by car)
Waiariki is an official IELTS (International English Language Testing System) testing centre. IELTS tests provide proof of English competency for entry into mainstream qualifications. Most tertiary institutions in New Zealand require prospective students to show evidence of English language ability and will ask for evidence of IELTS test results when applying.
Click here to view application details for IELTS at Waiariki
Library Learning Centre
The Library Learning Centre provides a wide range of resources and services designed to enhance students learning and complement staff teaching here at Waiariki read more>>
Waiariki Institute of Technology Student Association (WITSA)
Waiariki has a bicultural vision. The marae on our Rotorua campus is called Tangatarua which translates to two peoples. All new students are welcomed upon arrival with a pohiri (traditional Màori welcome ceremony) at our marae. Tangatarua is an integral part of the study experience, celebrating, respecting and welcoming the diversity of our new student members who become part ofour Waiariki whànau (family). read more>>
The Waiariki Institute of Technology Students’ Association, a.k.a. WITSA, Te Runanga Tauira o Waiariki, is here for you, our students.
Study at Waiariki
General Information for all Students
If you need further advice on the acceptance of your qualification or information on our entry requirments, please contact the
Waiariki International Centre
A Block Extension (Mokoia Campus)
Phone: +64 7 346 8712 or
+64 7 346 8842
Monday - Friday,
8:00am - 4:30pm