- Code: TRDE.2001
- Fee: $720*
- Level: 2
- Credits: 15
- EFTS: 0.125
|Time in class||25 (approximate total hours)|
|Offered (indicative)||Secondary Tertiary Pathway Delivery|
|Location||Rotorua Trades Academy, Taupo Trades Academy, Tokoroa Trades Academy, Whakatane Trades Academy|
The aim of this course is to provide students with knowledge of the masonry industry, the work processes, tools, equipment and materials used for brick and block work, and workplace safety requirements. Students will gain skills in mixing masonry mortars and laying bricks on edge in accordance with plans, working drawings and specifications.
On successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- identify and communicate understanding of sectors within the masonry industry, and client, supplier, inter-trade and industry body relationships;
- explain work processes and job roles within the masonry industry;
- identify and communicate understanding of materials used for brick and block work, and handling and storage requirements for materials;
- describe, select, use and maintain tools and equipment used for brick and block work;
- receive, interpret and apply verbal, written and visual information in relation to exposure to health and safety hazards, and safe workplace practices for brick and block work;
- demonstrate knowledge of cement materials used in the manufacture of mortar, and methods used to measure materials for mixing mortar;
- use accurate measurements to mix masonry mortars ensuring specified mix proportions are achieved;
- read and interpret plans, working drawings and specifications to set-up a work area for laying bricks on edge; and
- lay bricks on edge, and complete pointing profile and pointing in accordance with plans, working drawings and specifications.
Embedded unit standards or achievement standards
This course includes NZQA unit standard 25331.
For more information on Unit Standards explore the NZQA Framework
*Course cost/fee: Indicative standard fee for New Zealand residents only. Fees for non-New Zealand residents will vary, visit the Programmes and Tuition Fees for International Students information page.
*Course cost/fee last updated 13-Dec-2016
Page last updated: 01 Sep 2017