Youth Guarantee is a FEES FREE* study option for young people aged between 16 and 19 years old.
- Youth Guarantee pays the course fees for up to one year of study; some course materials (pens, books, tools, etc.) may be required at the student’s expense.
- Youth Guarantee aims to provide students with NCEA Level 1 or NCEA Level 2 as well as credits toward the qualifications listed below.
- Students enrolled in Youth Guarantee aged 16 to 17 years are not eligible for student loans or allowances administered by StudyLink; they may be eligible for the Independent Youth Allowance through Work and Income.
- Students aged 18 to 19 years old can access the Student Loan Scheme for living costs and course-related costs and will be eligible for student allowances.
- Priority will be given to students who have not yet achieved NCEA Level 1 or NCEA Level 2.
- Youth Guarantee students will be required to complete an online literacy and numeracy assessment and put together an individual learning plan. Additional learning support is available at no cost.
Who can apply?
New Zealand citizens or residents who are:
- aged between 16 and 19 at time of course start date; or
- 15 years old with early leaving exemptions from the Ministry of Education; and
- no longer enrolled in a secondary school.
What and where can I study?
Most programmes are offered in Rotorua, Taupo, Tokoroa, and Whakatane. For more information, select the programme you're interested in.
- New Zealand Certificate in Agriculture (Farming Systems) (Level 3)
- New Zealand Certificate in Automotive Engineering (Level 3)
- New Zealand Certificate in Construction Trade Skills (Level 3)
- New Zealand Certificate in Electrical Engineering Theory (Level 3)
- New Zealand Certificate in Food and Beverage Service (Level 3), Cafe Services and Barista strands
- New Zealand Certificate in Horticulture (General) (Level 3)
- Complete and attach a Youth Guarantee application form to your enrolment form.
- You will be contacted to confirm enrolment if your Youth Guarantee application has been accepted.
- Apply now, places are limited.
- Toi-Ohomai-Youth-Guarantee-Application-Form.pdf (4.0 MB updated 02-May-2017)
Contact the information centre for further information, advice or support services.
Mokoia Campus Information Centre Contact Details
- Location:N Block, Mokoia Campus
- Phone:07 346 8984
- Phone:0800 86 46 46, (1 for Rotorua), ext. 8984
- Hours:Monday–Friday, 8.30am–5pm
- Map:Mokoia Campus Map (533.8 KB updated 02-May-2017)
Page last updated: 02 May 2017