11 Sep 2014
Mobin Mathew from India, feels his Waiariki Institute of Technology experience was well worth it.
After finishing his schooling, Mobin undertook a three-year degree in hotel management and tourism from Punjab Technical University, while also studying for a Diploma in Aviation, Hospitality and Travel Management.
Five years working for India’s Jet Airways as ground staff without progression, made Mobin realise further study was required. Wanting to meet new people and experience new places in a beautiful country was one of his dreams; New Zealand proved the perfect destination and Waiariki the perfect tertiary choice as the Graduate Diploma in Tourism Management course they offered matched his career aspirations.
Now, since graduation, Mobin has achieved a work placement as a Personal Assistant at Look After Me Homestay, an internship at Rotorua International Airport (gained through the support of Waiariki's Nadenne McClay, and a position in an Auckland travel agency.
With the latter cut short due to the city's high cost of living, Mobin returned to his support base in Rotorua and a position at the Distinction Hotel, to collect himself and recharge his ambitions. Recently, that drive has led him to win a full-time position at Tekapo Springs, beside the beautiful Lake Tekapo in the South Island. A job which will help Mobin finally gain his work Visa.
"I have been through very tough times, but with sheer determination and the ongoing support from my friends and family, plus Deb and Nadene from the Waiariki Careers & Employability Centre, I have finally realised success, and now I am very happy."
Mobin's tips for being successful in getting a job:
- It's not "what" you know but "whom" you know - Get connected with people especially with the people in your own community through which you would be updated of new job openings.
- Volunteer to help other people even if it is a small job and if not paid. Who knows if potential employers have their eyes on you.
- Register with employment sites like TradeMe, Seek and other similar sites.
- Knock at all the doors till someone opens it for you.
For more information
- Related information area(s): Graduate Diploma in Tourism Management
- Student success: View All Student Success Stories
Page last updated: 02 May 2017