- Code: CONS.3106
- Fee: $726*
- Level: 3
- Credits: 15
- EFTS: 0.125
- Subject: Carpentry
|Time in class||64 (approximate total hours)|
|Offered (indicative)||Semester 1, Semester 2|
|Location||Rotorua (Mokoia), Tokoroa, Taupo, Whakatane, Taumarunui|
Gain fundamental knowledge of the construction process, and the skills to read and interpret plans, working drawings and specifications, perform calculations, and safely use and maintain tools, machinery and equipment. Students will develop carpentry, communication and time management skills through the safe completion of various practical projects, and learn how to provide first aid.
On successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Explain the construction process for a single-level house.
- Read and interpret plans, working drawings, specifications and construction documentation.
- Produce technical drawings and sketches.
- Interpret and calculate quantities, lengths, areas, volumes and spacing from plans, working drawings and specifications using a range of mathematical methods.
- Develop and apply strategies for good communication, time-management and study skills.
- Demonstrate and apply knowledge of health and safety requirements for the safe use and maintenance of portable power tools, machinery and hand tools.
- Construct various workshop projects using a range of carpentry, communication and time management skills.
- Hold recognised safety qualifications such as a Site Safety Certificate and Powder Actuated Tool Operator’s Licence.
- Demonstrate knowledge of first aid conditions and provide first aid for life-threatening conditions.
*Course cost/fee: Indicative standard fee for New Zealand residents only. Fees for non-New Zealand residents will vary, visit the Programmes and Tuition Fees for International Students information page.
*Course cost/fee last updated 13-Dec-2016
Page last updated: 01 Sep 2017