- Code: TECE.5024
- Fee: $744*
- Level: 5
- Credits: 15
- EFTS: 0.125
- Subject: Early Childhood
|Time in class||72 (approximate total hours)|
|Offered (indicative)||Semester 2|
Taupo intake: Semester 2 only;
This course will empower student teachers to develop in-depth knowledge and understanding of high quality infant /toddler care and education from a range of Western and Maori perspectives and within a range of contexts. The unique characteristics, skills, and dispositions required to work with infants, toddlers and their families/ whanau will be explored. Student teachers will further examine the role of the teacher in ensuring the very young child's optimal care, growth, learning and development within a safe, inclusive, developmentally and culturally appropriate play environment.
On successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Identify and explain the factors that contribute to the provision of high quality care and education for infants and toddlers from a range of Western and Māori theoretical, cultural and philosophical perspectives.
- Describe the unique qualities, skills and dispositions required to work with infants, toddlers and their families/whānau.
- Discuss the role of the teacher in providing effective, supportive transitions.
- Reflect on issues in relation to respectful and responsive relationships with infants, toddlers and their families/whānau.
- Identify and explain care and education strategies, including teaching and positive guidance strategies, appropriate to infants’ and toddlers’ development.
- Plan for and explain the importance of a high quality, safe, inclusive, developmentally and culturally appropriate play environment to support the optimal care, growth, learning and development of the infant and toddler.
*Course cost/fee: Indicative standard fee for New Zealand residents only. Fees for non-New Zealand residents will vary, visit the Programmes and Tuition Fees for International Students information page.
*Course cost/fee last updated 13-Dec-2016
Page last updated: 01 Sep 2017