- Code: TECE.8005
- Fee: $1,240*
- Level: 8
- Credits: 25
- EFTS: 0.208
- Subject: Early Childhood
|Time in class||16 (approximate total hours)|
|Work experience||53 days (approximate total hours)|
|Offered (indicative)||Semester 1|
|Related programmes||Master of Teaching Early Childhood Education;|
This course is grounded by the whakatauki “Whaowhia te kete mātauranga” – Fill the baskets of knowledge. The course aims to support students in adding to their kete mātauranga (baskets of knowledge) of teaching and learning by developing a sustained portfolio of teaching practice within the context of concurrent fieldbased teaching using analytical and critical reflective skills which focus on meeting the Education Council of Aotearoa New Zealand ‘Graduating Teacher Standards’, and the aspirations of Te Whāriki, Tātai ako and Tātai reo competencies.
On successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Apply critical reflective practice and analyse how it contributes to their ongoing development of as a student teacher.
- Critically analyse their ability to foster whanaunatanga with infants, toddlers, young children, whānau and colleagues.
- Critically analyse the principles of manaakitanga to notice, recognise and respond to the child’s interests and to plan and promote children’s learning.
- Use wānanga to critically reflect on and refine their practice in line with the language, culture and identity of the child to inform the child’s learning.
- Demonstrate aspects of the Education Council of Aotearoa New Zealand ‘Graduating Teacher Standards’, Tātai ako and Tātai reo competencies for practicum 1 to a satisfactory level or above.
*Course cost/fee: Indicative standard fee for New Zealand residents only. Fees for non-New Zealand residents will vary, visit the Programmes and Tuition Fees for International Students information page.
*Course cost/fee last updated 13-Dec-2016
Page last updated: 01 Sep 2017