- Code: MAOR.6002
- Fee: $716*
- Level: 6
- Credits: 15
- EFTS: 0.125
- Subject: Maori Studies
|Study options||Full-time, Part-time|
|Time in class||60 (approximate total hours)|
|Offered (indicative)||Semester 1, Semester 2|
|Location||Rotorua (Mokoia), Tokoroa, Turangi, Tauranga|
Course AimThe aim of this course is to interpret the meanings, beliefs and practices relating to all facets of the pa/marae and protocols
On successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Explain the whakapapa of the Marae and the symbolism of the physical structures and spaces of the pā site
- Describe the social structure of the iwi/hapū in relation to the marae complex
- Describe the role and various functions of the Marae
- Explain marae tikanga/kawa in terms of tangata whenua, manuhiri, tangihanga, hui tangata ora.
- Compare tribal tikanga/kawa differences.
- Relate the concept of tapu and noa to marae functions and rituals
*Course cost/fee: Indicative standard fee for New Zealand residents only. Fees for non-New Zealand residents will vary, visit the Programmes and Tuition Fees for International Students information page.
*Course cost/fee last updated 13-Dec-2016
Page last updated: 01 Sep 2017