- Code: FROP.3102
- Fee: $608*
- Level: 3
- Credits: 15
- EFTS: 0.125
- Subject: Forestry Operations
|Study options||Full-time, Part-time|
|Time in class||60 (approximate total hours)|
|Work experience||60 (approximate total hours)|
|Offered (indicative)||Semester 1, On Demand|
|Location||Rotorua (Mokoia), Taupo, Murupara, Napier, Opotiki|
The aim of this course is to provide students with the knowledge to use a chainsaw and to operate a chainsaw safely in a commercial forest operation.
On successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Describe and communicate duties assigned under the requirements of the Health and Safety in Employment Act and the rules for chainsaws contained in the Approved Code of Practice.
- Describe and list requirements relating to the transport and use of chainsaw fuel and personal protection, calculate correct fuel mixtures and identify first aid requirements for chainsaw operators.
- Disassemble and reassemble a chainsaw, identify and explain the main function of components, and perform basic maintenance.
- Identify hazards and record their management associated with chainsaw use in a commercial forestry operation.
- Perform checks, record and carry out basic maintenance and prepare for safe and efficient operation of a chainsaw.
- Operate a chainsaw in a commercial forestry operation.
Embedded unit standards or achievement standards
|Demonstrate knowledge of the rules relating to chainsaw use||6916||2||5|
|Operate a chainsaw and carry out basic chainsaw maintenance in a commercial forestry situation||23411||3||12|
For more information on Unit Standards explore the NZQA Framework
*Course cost/fee: Indicative standard fee for New Zealand residents only. Fees for non-New Zealand residents will vary, visit the Programmes and Tuition Fees for International Students information page.
*Course cost/fee last updated 13-Dec-2016
Page last updated: 01 Sep 2017