- Code: HAIR.3301
- Fee: $1,092*
- Level: 3
- Credits: 20
- EFTS: 0.1667
- Subject: Hairdressing
|Time in class||45 (approximate total hours)|
|Work experience||68 (approximate total hours)|
|Offered (indicative)||Semester 1|
|Location||Rotorua (Mokoia), Taupo, Whakatane|
|Related programmes||New Zealand Certificate in Hairdressing (Salon Support) (Level 3);|
Gain knowledge of roles, services, and career pathways within the hair industry and salon environment, including work practices and expectations for salon assistants. Develop core skills in communicating and interacting with clients, peers and supervisors, salon health and safety, and personal presentation and hygiene requirements.
On successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Describe the key characteristics of the hair industry, including occupational roles and responsibilities, career paths and the expectations of a salon assistant within the salon environment.
- Maintain personal presentation, hygiene, safety and professional conduct in a commercial salon environment.
- Interpret and apply health, safety and hygiene legislation and regulations, and manufacturers’ instructions relevant to the hairdressing industry and hair services.
- Identify hazards and risks, and respond to emergencies within a commercial salon environment including completing relevant reporting requirements in accordance with salon policy.
- Communicate and interact effectively with clients and colleagues using relevant industry terminology.
- Prepare and maintain equipment for salon services and assist seniors as required, including observation of technical services, ensuring client safety at all times.
Embedded unit standards or achievement standards
|Working in the hair industry||C&G 3002-60 201|
|Follow health and safety in the salon||C&G 3002-60 202|
For more information on Unit Standards explore the NZQA Framework
*Course cost/fee: Indicative standard fee for New Zealand residents only. Fees for non-New Zealand residents will vary, visit the Programmes and Tuition Fees for International Students information page.
*Course cost/fee last updated 13-Dec-2016
Page last updated: 01 Sep 2017